Our top ten quotes from children's books everyone should read
Here are a few quotes from some fantastic children's books we think everyone should read.
1. J.M Barrie, Peter Pan (which features on the Kumon Recommended Reading List)
"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
2. Pretty much anything by Roald Dahl, but we've gone with the BFG
"Meanings is not important,' said the BFG. 'I cannot be right all the time. Quite often I is left instead of right.'"
3. Dr Seuss, Horton Hears a Who
"ASAP. Whatever that means. It must mean, 'Act swiftly awesome pacyderm.'"
4. E.B. White, Charlotte's Web
"Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice. As a result, she now has a pig. A small one to be sure, but nevertheless a pig. It just shows what can happen if a person gets out of bed promptly."
5. Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
"Mad Hatter: "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"
"Have you guessed the riddle yet?" the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
"No, I give it up," Alice replied: "What's the answer?"
"I haven't the slightest idea," said the Hatter"
6. Mary Norton, The Borrowers
"Except from human beings," said the boy.
Arrietty burst out laughing; she laughed so much that she had to hide her face in the primrose. "Oh dear," she gasped with tears in her eyes, "you are funny!" She stared upward at his puzzled face. "Human beans are for Borrowers - like bread's for butter!"
7. L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?"
8. Judith Kerr, The Tiger Who Came to Tea
"Sophie opened the door, and there was a big, furry, stripy tiger. The tiger said, "Excuse me, but I'm very hungry. Do you think I could have tea with you?""
9. J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."
10. Michael Bond, A Bear Called Paddington
Things are always happening to me. I'm that sort of bear."